We all know that our area is prone to severe thunderstorms and hurricanes. Whenever such a storm arises, please follow these helpful tips:
- Keep away from windows and open doors.
- Do not use electrical appliances or the telephone. Lightning can follow the wires into your home.
- Stay out of the water. Never go swimming or boating during a lightning storm. If you are in the water, get out as quickly as possible. Lightning can follow metal plumbing pipes, so avoid the shower or bathtub during a lightning storm.
- Avoid trees, poles and other tall objects. Avoid large metal objects. These things are targets for lightning.
- Go to low ground and crouch down low if you are caught outdoors.
- Keep a flashlight, battery-powered radio, and batteries on hand in the event of an electric outage.